Burn Permit"Rural, Responsive, & Proud"
CURRENT BURNING RESTRICTIONS
ALL BURNING IS PROHIBITED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. UPDATED 19 OCTOBER 2016
All persons that are wanting to burn MUST contact the burn line and report their intent to burn between 7am and 9am.
Burn Line: 520-803-6920
All permits are required to be issued to the owner of the property in which the burning will be performed.
The Palominas Fire District burn permit guidelines, rules and restrictions are in accordance with:
- The Arizona Department of Environmental Quality
- The International Fire Code, 2012
Open Burning Rules:
Prior to burning you must check our website (under Burn Permit > Daily Burn Approval) to see if burning is allowed. If burning is allowed you will be directed to enter your information from your permit on to the website. If you do not have internet access you may also call the Palominas Fire District prior to burning. Factors affecting burning approval include weather conditions and fire danger warnings.
- Open burning must be approved DAILY!
- Hours of burning are from 0900-1600 hours daily ONL (unless otherwise stated by the PFD)! This is an Arizona Department of Environmental Quality regulation, not Palominas Fire District.
- Your operational burn permit allows you to burn materials in one of the following ways:
- Gathered in a pile not larger than 4’ by 4’ wide, 2’ high or 32 cubic feet.
- Placed in an approved container such as a burn barrel. Materials to be burned must not be greater than 32 cubic feet at any given time.
- Gathered in a pit. Materials to be burned in a pit must not be greater than 32 cubic feet at any given time.
- Burning materials must not be closer than 50 feet to any structure.
- A minimum clear area of 3’ must be kept around piles.
- The fire must be attended at all times and must not be a nuisance or create a heath liability to your neighbors.
- A means of extinguishing a small fire must be available at all times. This includes items such as a fire extinguisher or water hose.
- Petroleum products such as gasoline are prohibited from being used as ignition sources. Matches, flares and propane torches are acceptable.
Call 911 at the first sign a fire is becoming out of control.
The following materials are restricted from burning:
- Household waste
- Waste petroleum products
- Hazardous waste products
- Tar paper
- Electrical wire components
- Poison Ivy
- Poison Sumac
- Asphalt Shingles
*Oleanders produce toxic smoke when burned and are a restricted material.
What about burning a portion of land?
If you would like to burn a portion of land you must schedule an appointment for an on-site inspection and approval. Otherwise all burning must be conducted in accordance with the items listed in the rules section. To be approved, the portion of land must be small, have a light fuel load and contain adequate fire breaks on all sides. To schedule an appointment for an on-site inspection, or for more additional information please call (520)803-9919 (Mon-Fri from 8am-5pm)
Burn permits may be issued Monday through Friday from 8am until 4pm at the Palominas Fire District Administration Office located at 10202 S. Highway 92, Hereford AZ 85615 or you can download a copy of a burn permit from this website. Please fill out the permit application and send it to the address on the permit.
If a district resident already has a burn permit, then they must call the Burn Line (520-803-6920) between 7am-9am and request permission to burn. The crews will notify the permit holder if burning is permitted during that time.
Please understand that even if you have a valid burn permit, that does not automatically imply that you have permission to burn. You must obtain approval from the Palominas Fire District PRIOR to burning
Please contact the Burn Line if you have questions. (520)803-6920
For Emergencies please dial 911